This blog

To be perfectly frank, I have no purpose here other than to write. I do care about what I say. If there is one thing I have learned in the last several years it is that precision in expression matters. But none of that matters if you do not express yourself.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Good Will Hunting

            This is not a movie review blog, but nevertheless, I was lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling and I couldn't get this movie out of head. I never get tired of watching it and I know why. I heard Robin William's voice (I'm channeling him , I swear) saying something to the effect "and those are the really good  bits, sport." He was, of course, speaking to Matt Damen's character  in Good Will Hunting about the little peccadilloes that make a relationship so endearing: the farts in the night, the parts of us that we don't show openly to others, but when in love, show unabashedly to our other. Robin Williams was spot on in this role. That he won an academy award should be no surprise. That he didn't win Best Actor award is a crime. Yes, Matt Damon was the protagonist and he and Ben Affleck won the Best Original Screenplay award for an astoundingly warm and nuanced script. But Robin Williams does more than play a character, he throws his character's life, his character's total history in your face every second in every move, every question he has about himself. Yes, the script that Damon and Affleck created make that possible, but the delivery is the clue. This role is one of the great lights of American acting. Williams is so deep into this man that his improvisations speak with the characters voice. And I do not doubt there were improvisations. There is plenty of brilliance to go around here and when a script is good as this and a actor absorbs a role so deeply as does Williams, it would be a huge mistake to not let him run with his role at times and that is what Damon and Affleck do.

No comments:

Post a Comment